Celebrate your own wisdom

Statue

Happy Bodhi Day! Today honors the day Buddha achieved enlightenment and gained the knowledge upon which Buddhism is founded.

I would like to celebrate. I would be up at the Zen center in a heartbeat if I could. But I have other obligations -- I'm watching Deanna's band perform in the early afternoon. Then I'm working late tomorrow night, covering the Queens of the Stone Age/Eagles of Death Metal hometown show. (Not that I'm complaining about that, because it's going to be rad.)

Instead, Jason and I are spending a quiet night at home. I wrapped a big stack of Christmas presents and addressed a bunch of cards. I'll probably have some cocoa before meditation and bed.

Here are some ways to cultivate Zen in your own life, taken from "Awakening The Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das:

Pray
Meditate
Be aware/stay awake
Bow
Practice yoga
Feel
Chant and sing
Breathe and smile
Relax/Enjoy/Laugh/Play
Create/Envision
Let Go/Forgive/Accept
Walk/Exercise/Move
Work/Serve/Contribute
Listen/Learn/Enquire
Consider/Reflect
Cultivate oneself/Enhance competencies
Cultivate contentment
Cultivate flexibility
Cultivate friendship and collaboration
Lighten up
Celebrate and appreciate
Dream
Give thanks
Evolve
Love
Share/Give/Receive
Walk softly/Live gently
Expand/Radiate/Dissolve
Simplify
Surrender/Trust
Be born anew

****

One of his students asked Buddha, "Are you the messiah?"
"No", answered Buddha.
"Then are you a healer?"
"No", Buddha replied.
"Then are you a teacher?" the student persisted.
"No, I am not a teacher."
"Then what are you?" asked the student, exasperated.
"I am awake", Buddha replied.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment