Overcoming

Weeds

Some days, it just doesn't feel like it's going to get any better.

The cat gets sick, then becomes well, then gets sick again.

I get ahead of my bills just long enough to have them drown me again.

My work goes through a period where the story ideas are plentiful, the words flow easily, the readers are open and receptive. And then it all seemingly stops at once.

My relationship with Jason is comfortable and happy, and suddenly we're tested by a firing squad.

Days like this, it's hard to feel much gratitude.

And then I read this quote this afternoon, and it really struck something inside me:

“For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way. Something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.” – Alfred Souza

THIS is my life. And it is not easy or shiny or pretty.

There will be stress. There will be difficulty. There will be messy desks, credit card debt, dirty laundry, a full in-box, cloudy skies. There will be bitterness and sadness and people who don't yet know how to forgive. There will be days where I don't feel valued or loved or respected. There will be tests and trials and obstacles to overcome ... and all of that will be my life.

But there will also be sunshine and lemonade too.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

By Blogger MC, at 5:12 AM  

wow. sick cats, unpaid bills, problems w/the boyfriend.

my children lost their father & i struggle to pay the mortgage on one income so they don't lose their home to. i spend christmas trying to remind them of what he looks like because they are to yound to remember.

thank god there are strong women like you out there to show us all how to endure the hardships.    



By Blogger jamie, at 12:13 PM  

MC, thank god there are strong women like you out there to show us that even in the middle of such crushing loss and sadness, there is still time to leave a petty, martyr-soaked comment on someone's personal blog.

Bravo to the strong women, eh?

Step away from the keyboard and go spend time with your children.    



By Blogger Debby, at 3:28 PM  

i've been in therapy for a long time for depression and post traumatic stress disorder. i've been raped, i delivered my sister's baby and the child died in my own two hands, the list goes on and on. but i never am so presumptuous as to think that my sorrow is so great that it eclipses anyone else's. my therapist says that heartache is relative. it's not better or worse than someone else's. it's just different. and one person's sorrow is no less or more painful than anyone else's. MC, i'm sorry for what you're going through, but being that you're in a hurtful place, have some compassion for everyone else who is also in a hurtful place. your struggle is no more valid that anyone else's.    



» Post a Comment