A Perfect Union

My hobby lately is crafting a playlist called "Take a Vow," which may or may not have something to do with some sort of ceremony. (You'll just have to stick around for the next year to find out.)

So let's say I was going to take a walk down an aisle or something. What song would I want to have playing?

Right now the playlist of choices is a little scattered and crazy, with 72 selections that range from Wilco to Billie Holiday. (For this project, I'm looking for something a litle different than your standard "At Last" or "Unforgettable." Not that those aren't great songs; they're just not what I'm looking for.) Depending on my mood, my favorites vary wildly.

As of this moment, the leaders are:

"I Melt With You" * Nouvelle Vague

"Baby I Love You" * Aretha Franklin

"My Baby Just Cares for Me" * Nina Simone

"Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" * The Arcade Fire (I adore this song, and it always makes me a little weepy, but I don't know that everyone will get it; it's a little unconventional for the thing I'd like to use it for. But then again, screw everyone. It's my party and my song.)

Of course, all of this is likely to change. In a year from now, who knows what songs will stab me right in the heart and make me all gooey?

So now I pose the question to you. What love songs really get to you? What tunes do you find absolutely loverly?

Next up: Let's say I was having a first dance with someone ...
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

By Blogger Trading Up, at 7:36 AM  

one of my personal favorites is With or Without You by U2. i also have a super soft spot in my heart for Power of Two by the Indigo Girls.    



By Blogger Lissa, at 6:17 PM  

Van Morrison - Into the Mystic
When in Rome - The Promise
Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes
Phil Collins - Groovy Kind of Love
Eric Clapton - The Way You Look Tonight

Yeah I have a few ideas on songs for "ceremonies". :)    



By Blogger Eric and Jill, at 6:26 PM  

Hello, this may seem weird, but I found your blog from that radio show's (Joe and somebody--Brian and Joe?) website you were on when you were a guest once. I've been a follower since, mainly because you're a great writer, and your life's interesting! Looks like you're doing really well in Palm Springs. You go girl!

So anyhow, I thought this was a cool request. My husband and I got married in July '05, and we danced to "Never My Love" by The Association. Of course, I think you should totally do any of those songs that make you "gooey" in the heart, no matter what anyone else thinks. I always had a soft spot for that song even though Heineken ended up using it in one of its commercials. I can't remember if that was before or after our wedding? Either way, I didn't care. My hubby and I still love it regardless! Good luck with everything!

I don't normally dig Brad Pitt, but he looks hot in your photos! How were you SO composed?!    



By Blogger Douglasy, at 8:09 PM  

Hi Mags.

Without a doubt it's Corcavado by Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto. In Madagascar each evening about 8pm, a one of the two national TV stations played a Brazilian soap opera with this as the theme song. I could hear it wafting in the air from the few neighbors who had TV sets as my then-girlfriend and I settled down for the evening. I still have a hard time listening to this song.    



By Blogger Lissa, at 7:56 PM  

...and here are songs to steer clear of for your mix:

Baby Got Back
I'm In Love With a Stripper
O.P.P


I've actually attended ceremonious events that included these songs. I must say the family involved did not respond well. HA    



By Blogger Maggie, at 6:26 PM  

Thanks for your input, everyone. What wonderful suggestions!

I'm going to add all of these to the playlist -- though I might need some help finding yours, Doug.

And I've fallen for a new song. "Frist Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes.

I'm not the biggest Bright Eyes fan, but the lyrics of that particular song are stunning.    



By Blogger Trading Up, at 9:12 AM  

maggie, that Bright Eyes song is my absolute favorite and if i ever get married will be the song we first dance to. its a great choice.    



By Blogger Jana, at 8:14 PM  

We really love "Songbird" by Eva Cassidy and "Dimming of the Day" by Bonnie Raitt for wedding music. Both Corey and I have playlists of songs that mean a lot to us, and I think it will be really hard to choose wedding music from those. And you actually know things about modern music, whereas I have not bought a CD in years, so I do not really envy that task.    



» Post a Comment