Chicks rock!


Chick hybrid, originally uploaded by Maggiejumps.

I have so much to write, I don't even know where to start. I think I'll have to do a lot of catching up here in the next week or so.

I'll start with this past weekend, which was the Chicks Rock Boogie at Skydive Elsinore. This event for skydiving women is something I've wanted to attend ever since I was a student and working on my license. It was always just motivational to know that there were so many talented female jumpers out there in the world -- and for one weekend they all get together in some kind of skydiving sisterhood.

So there I was. And Chicks Rock was every bit as great as I thought it would be. For the $35 registration fee, we got incredible goodie bags with an adorable T-shirt, keychains, stickers, toys and more. That also included a big luau-themed BBQ and a 10-keg party with DJs on Saturday night.

The Boogie also featured body piercing, massages, haircuts and all kinds of demo jumpsuits and gear. It was more like a spa weekend than a boogie, actually.

And then the jumping. Oh my, the jumping.

It was amazing, and not just because Lake Elsinore one of the most beautiful dropzones I've ever seen. The women who were jumping were so awesome and so talented, I felt lucky to accompany them in the sky.

I made several all-girl skydives, which I figured would be kinda fun. And I was so wrong. It wasn't just fun -- it was emotional and powerful in a way I never expected. It was truly moving to be on a plane load completely filled with other skydiving women. My pride and admiration for them knew no depth.

There are certain moments when I remember why I skydive, certain moments that slice through all the other emotions in the world, certain moments when my path is crystal clear.

This weekend I had many such moments: Looking around me at a Super Otter filled with chicks, exchanging hugs, rooting for each other, sharing so much strength, love, joy.

That's why I love this photo of our all-girl hybrid so much. It wasn't the most solid or easy jump I've ever made. (That's me there in the base on the right, with the cloud print on my pants.)
But looking at this picture reminds me of how much chicks really do rock.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment